Last Updated: 16/09/2020
What are cookies?
Cookies are most often small text files that websites may put on your computer or mobile device while you're browsing. They're used for many different purposes. For example, they can:
- help search engines remember that you want your search results in English
- help a website remember your preferences so that you don’t need to customise it every time
- help websites to deliver a better service by showing you the content most relevant to you
- identify and resolve errors
- analyse how well a website is performing
The most common function of cookies is to remember bits of information that help make browsing the web easier and more hassle-free for you.
How can I turn them off?
All internet browsers will show you what cookies are currently being stored on your device. Settings for cookies can normally be found in the privacy section of the browsers setting's. Please note that disabling cookies can have adverse affects on your user experience and some websites which are reliant on them will not work.